PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nordwind severe hard landing Antalya
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2020, 03:23
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if this is the result of landing with too much thrust. It seems to be quite prevalent, and I wonder if this is a poor habit carried over from flying turbo props.

Some pilots seem to forget that in a jet, idle is still producing a significant amount of thrust. In my jet, enough to overcome rolling friction almost at max TO weight. And that is ground idle, never mind the higher approach idle spool speed.

Some tell-tale signs a pilot is landing with excessive thrust are autospoilers not deploying and landing flat or on the nose wheel. If the thrust levers are too far forward then systems for stopping are past the threshold for deployment.

Also, any excess airspeed carried for wind should be bled off before touchdown to prevent a situation where you are forcing the plane to stop flying too early.

Would be interesting to see a video of the landing. I would not be surprised to see a porpoise situation from forcing the jet on too early which developed into a massive bounce with the ensuing GA.

Being an empty repo, maybe there was even crew on the jump seat videoing the event.