PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukrainian Aircraft down in Iran
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2020, 23:46
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf_50 - "The decisions makers in the risk office have a hell of a challenge to deal with"

Nothing to argue over in your (gratefully acknowledged) post.
And on AF 447, the report, dated in summer 2012, was released a little while before my practice interests ascended, or grew at least, to include international civil aviation, so I have to assume you've stated that point correctly.

To add to the perspective about ICAO's initiatives, the uphill nature of reform and improvement projects is shown by something I observed there a few years back. MH17 was destroyed at cruise altitude in mid-July 2014. ICAO convened its "Second High-Level Safety Conference" in early February 2015 (I was there under informal observer status). No surprise that various CZ-related (and global flight tracking) initiatives or proposals were added to the agenda in tbe wake of MH17 (and MH370).
It seemed that positions articulated by the representative from Russia's delegation particularly on CZ-related items were artificially constrained, formalistic, even meant to obstruct. But as we all say, where the context is politics, weighing and deciding upon technically correct grounds should not be expected to occur.