PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukrainian Aircraft down in Iran
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2020, 12:57
ASpectrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coborn C6
Could you please quote some examples of these first reports and leaks?

My recollection is that people were remarking on the absence of comment (from anyone but the Iranians). Something I posted on this forum as possibly explained by an unwillingness to say anything that might inflame an already tense situation.

I don't remember reading anything - other than official Iranian reports - that suggested "no shoot down".
Western intelligence agencies see no signs Ukraine airliner was shot down - Canadian source reuters

Search that in google and you'll be linked to an article that states:
OTTAWA, Jan 8 (Reuters) - The initial assessment of Western intelligence agencies is that a Ukrainian airliner which crashed in Iran on Wednesday was not brought down by a missile, said a Canadian security source.

The source, who declined to be identified, said the agencies believed the Boeing 737 plane had suffered a technical malfunction. The Ukraine International Airline jet crashed shortly after takeoff from Tehran, killing all 176 people on board. (Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Amran Abocar and Chizu Nomiyama)
By then checking David Ljunggren's twitter, you will find a tweet about:
"Five security sources - three Americans, one European and one Canadian - told Reuters the initial assessment of Western intelligence agencies was that the plane had suffered a technical malfunction and had not been brought down by a missile"
I would link you myself, but I cannot as a new user.