PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukrainian Aircraft down in Iran
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2020, 19:07
Mozella

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by paperHanger
Pause the video and use the slider, you can clearly see to missile path all the way to the point of impact ...
There is no way for me to verify the video; i.e. who knows when and where it was taken.
However, as someone with 153 combat missions over North Viet Nam back in the day, I've seen countless SA-2 missiles launched and more than a few of them hitting aircraft. From what I see when using the slider to slow down the video, I'd bet my house that it shows a SAM of some kind killing an aircraft of some kind. It looks just like the SAMs I saw in Viet Nam. Could it be the Ukrainian aircraft? I can't say.

Could it be an accidental shoot down by the Iranian Military? After living in Iran for a number of years when I was serving as a flight instructor in their F-14 program I observed a good number of absolutely astounding failures of common sense by my IIAF colleagues. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was an accidental missile launched committed by a member of the Iranian military.......... not surprised at all.