PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukrainian Aircraft down in Iran
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2020, 19:05
lapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrasz
I'm simply saying that should that have happened, the Iranian authorities would have acted with much less openness. From the reporting of the accident so far, I don't see any attempt at a cover-up. In Iran ANY information that is released to the public is carefully scrutinized, and anything that would put the regime in a bad light is supressed. What I do find inconcievable is that if indeed this was a FF incident, the news of it would not have reached the highest levels even before the rest of the world was aware of anything.
They can't cover up evidence on the site, but they can keep denying a shoot down, even forever. They can try to influence the investigation or blocking it at some point sending all foreigners home and disagreeing on finding. Their CAA Chief is fully playing this part already, but isn't said that someone else won't be able to let the truth come out.There is too many smartphones around to control them all. Some Iranians are and will continue sharing what they have photographed or filmed. Use of VPN is common to work around censorship. Iran Gov.t. can suppress and say anything they want within the country, but not in the rest of the world. They cannot silence the families of the 76 non-Iranian victims, neither their respective Gov.ts, or even the airline itself. Iran Gov.t is not stupid, by looking at how the played the "no effects revenge", I think it's quite possible that at some point they might cave in and admit, trial and execute some unlucky but factually responsible individual. I think that would be their "best" way to handle the aftermath of this tragedy.