PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukrainian Aircraft down in Iran
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2020, 12:23
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems while searching for victims rescuers have turned over the VS as part of their search. There is very clearly a hole punched through from the right hand side and exiting the left hand side. Yes of course this could have occurred on impact but still eerily similar to the type of holes seen on MH17. I also note that the left hand side has had much of the paint burnt off while the right hand side seems unscorched by comparison. A post crash fire would have burnt and sooted both sides to one degree or another and more molten metal would be seen, So I assess this burning of the left hand side to have occurred in flight. This indicates the left hand side the aircraft was on fire and quite severely given the paint had burnt off.

The sideways nature of the puncture hole means its cause cannot reasonably be attributed to loose debris trailing from further forward of the aircraft eg exploding turbine or fan blade. . Based on the left hand side scorching it is likely that most loose debris (which could be seen trailing in the video) would have presumably come down the left hand side of the aircraft so again it is not reasonable to assume the right to left sideways puncture came from debris.

So the hole either occurred in the post flight impact or by some externals source whilst in flight.

I have also attached an image of the right wing tip and remaining winglet. As might be expected it appears to have escaped the fire. The lack of underside wingtip scratching suggests at least that it wasn't a right wing down impact. The crew then either had some control to stop the right hand turn and wings level prior to impact or alternatively no control as the aircraft wobbled through increasing aerodynamic challenges as flying surfaces were destroyed by the intense fire.

below is the the APU and HS surfaces: The assembly has come to rest upside down as far as I can tell. Again fire seems to be associated with the left hand side and the intensity has melted through the leading edge and some of the side too. While the right hand leading edge cant be seen, the general condition of the RH HS seems less affected by fire.Again, I assess that this damage was as a result of inflight fire not post impact fire. Note the puncture hole in about the centre of the exposed RH spar.(Remember the assembly is upside down so right is on the left and left is on the right!).

Finally, these three images of the what I am guessing is the remains of 2L. Note the white streaks around the frame. More evidence of the intensity of the fire on that side of the aircraft. The RH engine tail cone and aft cowling. (can someone confirm this is in fact the RH. I am assuming so since it appears less burnt. Note the hole.Finally a portion of what I guess is the left hand side of the cabin with paint burnt off.

Assessment: Suspicious looking holes on the right hand side of the aircraft, fire on the left. What else can we glean?