PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Acquiring PPL in Canada or USA
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2020, 11:08
Piqueteer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acquiring PPL in Canada or USA

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can assist me as I'm completely green around acquiring a PPL other than the research I've done online.
Background: I'm a UK resident, I have 5 weeks off work next year and I'm looking to do my PPL in USA or Canada to get the licence in an accelerated manner. I'm not as interested in the European schools as I have some family in USA who I would be looking to see before going home.

From my research I've probably got more confused which is why I'm asking the question here, and some of the threads on PPRuNe have answered my questions but some have convoluted things so any help is greatly appreciated.

USA:
  • Had contacts from 3-4 schools in Florida very promptly and they have good reviews. Very swish marketing and operation by first impressions.
  • Will acquire FAA PPL and therefore will have to convert it to an EASA PPL on return
    • I am working on the assumption that I can fly N-REG planes in UK on my return, get the 100 hours needed and then pass the relevant theory laws. Please confirm that is correct as everyone seems to have a different opinion!
    • Based on the below: If you hold an ICAO-compliant private pilot licence issued outside Europe, you can convert it to a European PPL. In order to do this, you will need to pass theory exams on air law and human performance as well as a skill test. Additionally, you need to have at least 100 hours as a pilot in the relevant aircraft category, hold a European medical certificate and have demonstrated language proficiency in the language to be used for radio communication.
  • Weather in June / July in Florida seems to be okay (less so in July) based on the schools input but can anyone confirm this based on experience?
Canada:
  • Contacted 7 schools in Canada and no responses yet after 3 weeks but give fairness that it was the Christmas Break.
  • Will get a CAR PPL - presume this works the same as the above so can rake up more hours on return.
  • Weather conditions presumably not as suitable as in USA but aiming to be in Toronto, any ideas on this? Based on research looks okay but USA is stronger contender on that front.
I know theres a few questions here but I'm looking more for affirmation around the conversion than anything else. Plus any first hand experience, old hand advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance