PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Secret RAF flights in the UK
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2019, 14:06
langleybaston

Received 712 Likes on 250 Posts
Jimlad, most points taken but TRAINING needed?

Surely this is a process fault, a system fault?

May I give an example from my Met. career?

Aircraft landing at an airfield need [or used to need back in the day!] barometric pressure to set altimeter in order to to land at zero feet above touchdown point. This is safety critical, many a disaster can be laid at the door of a miss-set altimeter. If I remember correctly a 10 millibar error [very humanly possible] translates to 300 feet. Met. Office observer reads pressure every hour [and more often as needs be in periods of rapid changes] and reports it to ATC [and other interested parties].

Met. System to eradicate error. All transactions are timed/ recorded to nearest minute.
1. Observer has a running check board of pressure, thus sudden unexplained changes seen for what they are, and barometer read again by observer..
2. Forecaster or supervisor checks the pressure and initials as having checked
3. Observer passes pressure to ATC [along with remainder of weather observation] and in times of rapid change has it read back and obtains initials therefrom.

Apologies if the above is blindingly obvious.

Applicability to Honours List is, I submit, obvious. Don't blame the issuer, blame the system or blame the supervisor.

And I agree wholeheartedly about the muppets.