PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Flight #2423 returned to LAX - medical emergency -10-year-old
Old 29th Dec 2019, 00:32
letsjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot DAR for checking back in.... Further, if you instrumental in removing some of the offending posts,I appreciate that too....

To help educate further as to why I brought up the thread and wanted to understand Deltas policy, I have provided a bit of information below. The information might be of benefit to some of you trying to learn while we wait for further facts on this specific case.

From the NIH website:
"Anaphylaxis is the most dramatic clinical presentation of allergy and is frequently a medical emergency in both paediatric and adult patients [2]. ... Cardiovascular manifestations of anaphylaxis include hypotension and shock, cardiac arrhythmias, ventricular dysfunction and cardiac arrest [7]

From a CPR website:
If the person suffering from anaphylaxis is not breathing or moving, it is time to administer potentially life saving CPR while waiting for emergency responders to arrive on the scene. CPR is an invaluable tool when properly applied. The majority of cardiac arrest victims die before EMTs are able to reach them. Performing CPR on a victim of anaphylactic shock as soon as possible can greatly increase their chances of survival.

From Harvard.edu:
" A 2006 study by Harvard Medical School researchers found evidence that anaphylaxis is vastly underreported as the cause of serious allergic reactions treated in emergency rooms — a problem, because proper diagnosis is the first step in preventing another anaphylactic reaction."

Here is a news story regarding the nexus between anaphylaxis and cardiac arrest....
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/disability-41023630/amy-may-shead-was-left-with-brain-damage-following-a-severe-allergic-reaction

"
“She took one taste and had a severe allergic reaction and she went immediately into anaphylactic shock. The intenisty of that was so strong it caused a cardiac arrest.”"

So, while this specific incident is still awaiting the facts, it's important to make people, esp. those that might find themselves as first response, aware of a potential cause. It might just save someone's life... Hence the reason for the thread.

This is why I bring up the awareness when it is simply reported as "cardiac arrest" of such a young patient.

It would be easy for a coroner to find the cause of death as cardiac arrest without learning what caused the event....