PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SLF avoid travel on 737 max
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2019, 00:35
slf4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello folks,

Fully agree crews should know their stuff - period, But I don't want well trained snake charmers on the flight deck if it wakes up, I want the 'snake' off the plane. Forgive the invocation of Capt Sully as though he's the final arbiter of all things aviation, but when he recreates the accidents in a Level D Max sim and describes the system as 'pernicious' and 'deadly' in it's initial state, and that focusing on the pilots was wrong, I pay attention. He did of course also emphasize that proper training, maintenance etc is critical as well.

Somewhere on the pro side there was comment about half of air crews responding improperly to some recent test scenarios, don't remember the details. But ultimately resolving the issue anyway. Not good enough of course, but if it means lives are saved, I much prefer the tool, however improperly used, not compound the issue. I'm not convinced either crash would have occurred if the accident crews had been able to focus on the issues arising without a subsystem actively affecting vertical control in that way.

I'd fly the Max once I see concrete evidence MCAS 2 or whatever, is incapable of ever responding as it's predecessor did.