PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SLF avoid travel on 737 max
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2019, 19:27
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a very personal "risk analysis" which takes into account not only the airline and aircraft but route, airport(s) etc. I'm not going to write all the rules here (I'm not sure it's well enough developed). However, one thing I consider is the alternative options to flying on what might be considered "something dodgy". Despite the Max crashes if they were still flying, unmodified, and I had the choice between flying on a Max or taking a Filipino or Indonesian ferry or driving from Nairobi to Addis I'd fly. Yes, the risk on the Max is slightly increased but the risk of those surface journeys is even more.

That said, I think I'll try and avoid the Max for a while assuming it comes back into service.

When Boeing and TWA first introduced the idea of 767s across the Atlantic I was offered the opportunity to go to Kansas City via St Louis (from London) using 767s. I declined and we went on 747s via Chicago. Looking back I was probably over cautious, if memory serves they still had to stay within 60 minutes of an airport at the time but I'm here to tell the tale. Then again I was in China in the very early 1980s and among the planes we flew on was an IL14 (or a Chinese copy) and in the late 70s I was in Nepal on Twin Otters in some interesting places.

Like I said it's a personal decision and I should add I'm non technical.