PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR(H) on Agusta 109
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2019, 23:43
Paul Cantrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
Is it a fact that in the USA no specific endorsement is required for A109? as far as the FAA is concerned ? Learn to fly in an R22 and you can fly the 109?
Surely not!
Dick,

As aa777888 says, unless the aircraft requires a type rating ( weight above 12,500 lbs ) one license covers them all, single or twin. So yeah, in theory take your private exam in an R22 and then hop into a S76 that afternoon.

One aircraft I fly is owned by someone wealthy enough to self insure, but liability insurance is a different story. He can afford to lose the hull ( and has saved enough money to buy a couple hulls over the years) but being as wealthy as he is makes him a target for lawsuits, so liability insurance is pretty much required. You probably would need to be a billionaire to not need liability insurance. Rich enough to exhaust anyone's ability to sue you... I'm guessing that part is true in OZ as well?

In any case, the insurance company is very strict - the only place authorized for recurrent training is at the factory, and they have a minimum of 1,000 hours to be pic... Some other minimums I can't remember at the moment. So, as aa777888 says, pretty much regulated by the insurers unless you are a complete idiot.