PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2019, 10:39
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by James Ken McIntosh
I think it’s not the lack of jobs or state of the industry but a combination of factors that prevent people getting jobs.

The issue I see it from my point of view from the inside is this.

1) Most of flight training prepares you for Single pilot ops and G/A rather then commercial flying. Flight schools train you in one manner but it fall short from airlines point of view.

2) Some people don’t have the applitude for it. If you don’t have it sorry pick something els.

3) Flights School summer have variation of quality of instruction and facilities not all are made equal

4) There is not many sources to look at that give you a straightforward path.

Everyone has different opinions.

If I had a time machine I would have gone through the MPL route to reach the right hand seat of an airliner earlier reasons

Your trained for the actual job from day one!

you have a job offer at the end

its the most effective way to train future trainees to touch an airliner.
1. The Regulators determine the syllabus. The part that you missed out was the MCC element following the CPL/IR skill tests. That is where the multi crew training commences. Much discussion elsewhere as to exactly what MCC course to follow.....

2. Provided you have average hand to eye coordination you will succeed. Golfers with good handicaps have no problems. Other sports such as cricket, tennis indicate a natural talent. Accomplished horse riders are easy to teach. Empathy with the machine.

We are not talking “fast jet” size brains required for commercial flying, although undoubtedly it helps.

3. Undoubtedly a factor. The first 20 hours are so critical. Quality instruction is vital. Can you select an attitude and TRIM accurately. This is CRITICALLY important.

4. Speak to those in the know.

5. MPL is a far superior route if your intention is airline flying. Only issue is that you must be ‘sponsored’ by an airline during the integrated course. The initial light ac flying is standard. Reduced amount followed by 120 hours multi crew training in a B.737 or similar approved device.

As certain Flybe MPL students found out 5 or so years ago, employment is not an absolute certainty if the financial situation is less than sound. Stirling in Denmark another faller with MPL students.