PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL (M) License route?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2019, 21:25
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because other students may be reading this:

In Scotland, you don't want a two-stroke because:

They guzzle the fuel and so you will find your range a bit limited - especially two-up! Fuel just isn't that easy to get in Scotland.

The market for microlights is small in Scotland, and we are a long way away from the populous South. So if you buy a two-stroke, you may find it difficult when you come to sell it to persuade anyone to come up "North", and then drive past that to The Borders, and then on to the central belt and then - even - to Perthshire an d the start of The Highlands!

They need a little more maintenance, such as decoking, and a lot more spark plugs! But you'll save on oil filters!

And they are slower and noisier, so not a favourite at airfields. Yes, most of the flat ground in Scotland has houses on it, or houses about to be built on it. So we have to be very aware of noise issues. The hills and mountains make for a beautiful landscape, though!

ps. As an old-time instructor I don't know all about two-strokes, but I know enough! I don't think we ever agreed on the best oil for a two-stroke, or how often to change the crank on a 582 on a Mainair machine, compared to the Quantum, before the 912 came in and all that became irrelevant.