PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-validating expired ATPL Theory exams
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2019, 19:42
LastStandards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillieBob
The ATPL theoretical knowledge examinations are valid for the issue of an ATPL for the same 7 year period from the last renewal of the instrument rating. Consequently, by renewing the EASA IR, you automatically extend the validity of the ATPL exams for a further 7 years.
This is my interpretation as well, but not necessarily the interpretation of some Policy individuals at a NAA - some recent discussions with candidates using either an ICAO IR or a UK Military Unrestricted Green IR to comply with the 7 year rule led to a curious interpretation that the ATPL exams were separate from the IR exams for the purpose of issue, such that the ATPL exam validity expired 7 years after the last UK/EASA IR entered in a licence, irrespective of the IR exam portion remaining within 7 years of the latest ICAO/Green IR. I'm afraid I continued to enter an IR in both candidates' EASA licences, with both leaving understanding that the Regulation itself suggested that their ATPL exams were now valid for a further 8 years! We do sometimes seem to seek the most negative interpretation rather than the most pragmatic interpretation.