PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW burns but where is the 737?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2019, 10:41
MJA Chaser

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
True, but then how many fires get so big and threatening, within 4 hours of starting, that they require a VLAT, especially after it would have already been attacked by the local bugsmashers and probably choppers?
I don’t know how many but there was one fire a couple of weeks ago out of Arimdale in NSW that started after a car was torched (usual story: kids steal it get chase by NSW Police Highway Patrol, drive dangerously enough so the pursuit is called off, take it into the bush and torch it). The satellite feed the RFS use identified a hot spot, helio sent to investigate, identifies a car fire, 4 helitaks go in, multiple ground crews and then the VLAT came in with retardant. Couldn’t get it out, it burnt uncontrolled for days. This all happened in about 2 hours.
Police did arrest the 3 suspects and took them to safety.

Having worked in a number of the RFS Fire Control Centres over the past month I do find the comments about the professional RFS employees not wanting the fires out because they get overtime extraordinary. Certainly wasn’t the feeling I had. I suspect these sorts of comments are unfounded in any fact and are an exaggeration to the point of simply being wrong.