PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar EBA 2019
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2019, 02:52
Paddleboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE
I’m over the whole thing. We threatened PIA to try and get the company to negotiate properly (like we did successfully in 2015) and it has had the opposite effect. What are we fighting for exactly now? The union has agreed to 3%. We’re essentially arguing over the costing of a minimum daily credit. I’d sign the current EBA plus 3 per cent increases tomorrow just to have this disaster behind me.
I can understand your frustration, but I'd ask you to look at the bigger picture and consider the alternative.

To agree to the companies demands without moving their original bargaining position a millimeter would be a catastrophic failure, driven by nothing more than irrational fear. If we signed on because of the cynical anti-pilot media campaign currently being undertaken, the result would be an executive team that would yet again pay themselves millions as a reward for keeping us to 3%, whilst sitting back laughing around the boardroom as the hardest working most productive narrowbody pilots in the airline industry, ones who operate the largest aircraft, fly the most passengers, the most sectors with the least days off do it all for the least pay, by some margin!

You will be operating 8.5 hour medium haul international sectors with wide body passenger loads for something not that far away from regional turboprop pay, and we would have nobody to blame but ourselves.

All of this in the face of a pay freeze where the amount saved was simply directed straight into the executive teams pockets. And they are looking to do it again.

I'd ask that you speak to the union, to the senior pilots and get an understanding of what we are driving towards. Our demands aren't outrageous. We're not asking to be paid head and shoulders above everyone else (like the executive team are!), we're simply asking to join our peers who for the most part do less than us anyway (no disrespect to them intended!). Independent costing of our claims show it would make a difference of less than a dollar a ticket. To say it threatens the business model is a fallacy. It would however threaten some significant bonuses being promised to key players if they can keep us to within this target amount.

Take a little short term pain, look to the long term. So much to play for and the real risk to you is negligible.

Last edited by Paddleboat; 17th Dec 2019 at 03:05.