PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW burns but where is the 737?
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2019, 19:08
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
What are the turnaround resources like for big aircraft? You would need the mother of all pumps and sufficient water to reload quickly and a sealed long runway.

Helos with a bucket just need a dam or a swimming pool.
They have portable GSE assets that they bring if needed. Obviously something like a 737 or DC-10 needs a decent sized airfield to operate from - that would be a major limitation in some areas.
Several years ago I was in Colorado working on the old family house when they had the Royal Gorge fire. The Pueblo airport is about 5 miles due east of the house, while the Royal Gorge fire was about 50 miles due west of the airport, and the main runway runs east/west (8R/26L). They brought in a DC-10 along with the needed GSE and operated out of the Pueblo airport to fight the fire. They'd take off to the west and head directly to the fire - without bothering to climb much - overflying the house at very low altitude, then return to land and do it again. When I was a kid in the 1960s, United did 727 flight training out of that airport - I'd often sit out on a big dirt pile behind our house and watch them (back then we could see the airport out our back window) - but I never saw a big jet go over our house anywhere near as low as that DC-10 was. The guy doing some tile work for me had his tile saw set up in the backyard - at one point he came in and said he knew how many rivets there were on the bottom of a DC-10 wing because he'd counted them during the last pass .
Anyway, I don't know their ideal turn time, but it couldn't be very long - the DC-10 was going over the house at about a 40 minute interval .