PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is VLS kind of speed can't be violated in A320 family ?
Old 16th Dec 2019, 10:54
LegiossTypeH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some my own opinions

My company has VLS limitation in stable approach criteria regulations, but not to mention in other flight phase like go-around.
I don't think it apply to go-around phase just because if my speed below VLS between DA and runway, like 50ft AAL, due to turbulence to typhoon, then I have to initial go around.
If I have the VLS limitation, does it mean I have to accelerate to VLS initially, with only one engine, then I can pitch up?

I thought about V2, too, but the logic of V2 is different from "manage speed target" in go-around phase, in Airbus A320 family, so it may not be the way the answer.

About the + or - 5kts, 10 degrees heading, 100ft altitude tolerance rule, I'm not sure it apply to approach or go around phase, the reason are as below:
1. Pilot never can fly 100ft below DA/MDA if no runway visual references.
2. Pilot can't fly a speed below VLS in final approach even it is within 5kts of Vapp.
3. 10 degrees heading... of course !
.... I guess this is why my check airman not to write down my "speed more than 5kts below manage speed target", but "Below VLS". He is serious in this reason.

We can presume the + or - 5kts tolerance rule apply to all circumstances, including my case, go-around phase, but that will be strange when over weight landing. Everyone knows we need to select VLS through FCU in final approach, that will about 5kts or more (depends how many system failures) below Vapp inserted. If you select flaps 3 for landing, after you initiate go around with TOGA thrust, you will not only be immediately far from VLS, but definitely more than 5kts below manage speed target(Vapp or VLS).

FCTM OVERWEIGHT LANDING CHAPTER:
"For a go-around, if the landing configuration is different from FLAP FULL, FLAP 1 must be used. If a go-around FLAP 1 is performed, VLS CONF 1+F may be higher than VLS CONF 3 +5kts. The recommendation in such a case is to follow SRS orders that accelerates the aircraft up to the displayed VLS."

That's why I ask the question:
Is VLS kind of speed can't be violated?
Or there are some exceptions? What are they?

I have a theory about go-around: Make a positive climb is the most important concern as long as speed not drop to V alpha prot. in Airbus or Vs0 in Boeing.
I don't find anything to support it, but find there's no description about low speed limitation when go around in airbus manuals.
(Only description of "manage speed target", which has a low limit Vapp, and a high limit VLS+15kts in One ENG OUT.)

Simply speaking: The "speed target", means the pilot needs to fly toward it, then maintains, not to mention pilot can't be too far initially. Like approach, we extend FLAP 1 at green dot + 10kts, then we inevitably far far from S speed initially. So as my case, how can I been blamed to be far from manage speed target initially?

Thanks for you all finish so many words.