PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Age 60 Rule
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2003, 07:41
akada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age 60 Rule!

First of all I would like to applaud the French for keeping the 60 rule. Too bad that this does not apply throughout the rest of Europe.

If I ever have to fly through French airspace or divert to a French airport with a captain over 60 I will jump on the radio and report to ATC. This to protect my license and myself. I hope each and every one of you keeps this in mind so that you will not end up in trouble.

Why do pilots continue to fly beyond 60? Well most arguments for this seem to be the financial situation. Looking back just a few years this was not an option. So for that reason I don't quite understand how this has become such a surprise to so many.
If you had been employed by a hamburger-chain, yes then I understand your financial reasons. But we are talking about pilots here right?

Many companies have a retirement plan to retire at 60. If pilots continue to struggle for a continuation beyond 60 they will also put the possibility to retire at 60 in jeopardy for everybody else.
Why don't people respect life and take time to do something meaningful like spending time with grandchildren, travel, go fishing or whatever you enjoy on your time off. Bottom line: Don't we all work for our spare time? What I am trying to say is that we are all given a very short time on this planet, and we should all try to get the most out of it if we are lucky enough to maintain a good health.

Many pilots also say that as long as you are medically fit you should be able to continue. Why do we not include mental fitness in this? Some maintain a great mental fitness for a much longer time than 60, but in general I think it's fair to say that mental fitness decreases with age.

There is a large group of young pilots out there with huge bankloans on education, house, car and families to provide for. Each time a pilot decides to continue beyond 60, each time a younger pilot gets robbed on his pension, better salary, captain upgrade and an unemployed has to stand aside. That's two pilots affected by one pilots egoistic behaviour.

Another aspect I don't understand is how you can continue working when you know that your younger colleagues want nothing else than for you to quit!

Respect your profession and respect your colleagues!