PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety is everyone's responsibility - de-icing
Old 15th Dec 2019, 10:56
tow1709

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago one January sitting (SLF) in an EasyJet B737 (yes, that long ago) at Lyon awaiting take off for Gatwick, and there was a delay while we waited our turn to be deiced.

I had a window seat on left hand side and Mr Know-it-All had the window seat on opposite side. We each, unusually, had a row to ourselves as the flight was less than half full. Mr KiA was moaning to the cabin crew about the delay, and how in his opinion the wings did not need deicing. He couldn't see any ice, and why couldn't we just go. The chief CC then proceeded to give him a long lecture which I did not hear all of because she kept her voice low, but I heard her mention rime ice a couple of times and the word accretion was used a few times too. She obviously knew exactly what she was taking about, as Mr KiA shut up and did not utter another word.

I made a thumbs-up gesture as she turned away, and got a nice smile in return, but alas no free drink!

I remember wondering at the time if CC were trained in this sort of thing, or whether this particular lady was maybe a PPL when not working.

Last edited by tow1709; 15th Dec 2019 at 11:17.