PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW burns but where is the 737?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2019, 07:24
Allan L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by red_dirt

Actually Sunny I’ve been both with more than 30 years service at both task and strategic ranks so I can assure you with absolute authority that those beliefs and attitudes of yours are the very things that us who sit in the “ivory castles” or “towers of power” or “colleges of knowledge” or whatever has been’s like yourself like to call it are trying to stamp out because we are all here for the one job.
Big Thread drift.

Perhaps you'd better update your profile then. Age 42? yet 'more than 30 years at both task and strategic ranks'

Sunny generalises, but when the $hit hits everyone get's on with it. When it's less hectic the O/T does seem to get drawn out, (Is it UC1 or UC2 yet? Big decision. Big effect on O/T.) Victorian DELWP seasonal 'project' firefighters aren't in the land of plenty - standby allowances and O/T make a big difference. A season without fire is not good for them financially.

But Sunny, and others, are right about vols still needing to do their jobs BEFORE and AFTER their shifts. I know of guys who will only do Night shifts (12 hours plus travel) so that they can still feed, water and check stock morning and night.

(And yes I've worked in some pretty big IMTs too, as well as still turning out with my brigade.)

Edit: Back on thread, as linked above the 737 is (or was) in Perth. The Vict. based Large Air Tankers have also done sorties to Perth and Tasmania in previous years. The benefit of a national approach and interstate resource sharing.