PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric powered commercial aircraft -- here we go!
Old 13th Dec 2019, 11:50
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
A new airframe and engine combination should require some new certification shouldn't it?
Definitely yes. Though I have had no involvement with this project, I was involved in the certification study for another electric airplane proposal. A new "basis of certification" will be required, as the present basis of certification never envisioned electric motors as powerplants. Another member here has been similarly involved in developing a new certification basis.

In my discussions with Transport Canada Aircraft Certification Branch, they expressed an eagerness to participate in new design standards, as they recognize the need. There are other international authorities also working to develop new and appropriate design standards for electric planes. In my detailed review, I found that on the whole, certification of an electric plane becomes less burdensome than for an engine driven plane, when the requirements for ignition engines are no longer required. It is certain that this will be accomplished, it's just a matter of time. Harbour Air is obviously involved in that process, and good for them investing back into a new and important industry. Lots of development is required, and it has to start somewhere!