PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW burns but where is the 737?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2019, 20:48
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks Bankrunner. I was up Kempsey way and only saw the older RFS trucks which seem to work pretty well in the action around Temagog.

As for hazard burning, once it’s been done once and properly, it should be relatively simple to do a cool burn every few years. If we don’t do that, then it’s catastrophic fires every 20+ years.

The whole greeny argument about not burning and trying to put fires out in wilderness areas is just totally counterproductive. From my front gate I can see the millions of grey dead trees on our nearest mountains - victims of the “no burn” policy right up until the bad fires we had around 2012. They produced “full thickness burns” in that forest that will take hundreds of years to recover. Burn early and often for the sake of the forest.

My job at home today is to get the slasher going and finish off the grass that hasn’t already been made into hay. The fire pump is already set up, as is our back up generator. Our fire season hasn’t really started yet, but no one thinks it’s going to be an easy time.

One of our major concerns is the thousands of campers that visit this area. They are generally unprepared, pleas to councils about sealing access roads and creating safe refuge areas fall on deaf ears. We are setting up for a major tragedy if things get out of hand because access is poor and the trailers and caravans these people use will block the roads.

Last edited by Sunfish; 11th Dec 2019 at 21:03.