PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Flight To Be Banned.
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 06:30
Cleared Visual

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunfish
The greens are already focused on shutting down most air travel. Yet you think they will still allow you to fly your bug smashers?

The first “revealed truth” is that greens hate air travel. The second is that politicians will look for scapegoats and others to sacrifice at the greenies altar.

I would have thought you will be the first group thrown under the bus by politicians as they struggle to keep the eco-terrorists in check.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envi...ct_of_aviation
The Greens have taken some pretty extreme positions. I dont think they could ever form a credible government and Labor just recently got schooled in the pitfalls of trying to cosy up to them at the expense of their base. But offering equally extreme, opposite positions only encourages further divisions and stymies a sensible level of action. If the govt accepted that the majority see climate change as a real issue, maybe they could propose some sensible policies that appeal to the very broad middle ground? I'm still young enough that i will have to live with the cost of inaction. I want to see something meaningful done to address it. But i also recognise with our geography, General Aviation is an essential service for many reasons. I also recognise that without industries like mining, the economy is doomed (and with it our standard of living). I eat meat, I drive a V8. And i am not in the minority.

If the Greens hadn't voted against the original ETS, a sensible, market based mechanism with bipartisan support (until the LNP decided bipartisanship didnt play well in the party room), we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. Instead we got an ill conceived compromise by an unpopular pop-up PM that never had time to be judged on it's results... The next unpopular pop-up PM dismantled it for the sake of ideology and a (largely unrealised) reduction in power bills. Both sides pissed a lot of people my age off. The dysfunction, hoodwinking and navel-gazing in our system will drive people to radical alternatives like the Greens (or Pauline) faster than Greta ever will. At their own peril of course, but people rarely vote in their own best interests anyway.