PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICE ON WINGS
Thread: ICE ON WINGS
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 11:51
Uplinker

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by iggy
I know I am going to get a beating for saying this but here it goes anyway:

I wish I could see more respect for a decision that was made by a fellow professional pilot. This is a rumor network, granted, but the OP still knows the flight number and the airline and might try to get the crew flying that day into trouble, all because someone in the internet that is supposedly a pilot is saying - from the comfort of his/her home - that, based on a blurry picture, procedures were not followed, proper checks were not carried out, and safety was compromised.
OK, I’ll bite.

As you know, in aviation we generally pride ourselves on discovering the causes of accidents or almost-accidents, so that whatever the reasons were, lessons can be learned. The crew will only “get into trouble” if they deliberately do something wrong, e.g. refuse to de-ice. Wing upper surfaces must be completely clear of contamination. Are they? Difficult to tell from the photo, but I can see white patches which can only be frozen water of one kind or another.

Remember the Potomac river disaster, where there were a whole catalogue of errors in icing conditions.

If the passenger is truly concerned he/she should have contacted the relevant authorities upon arrival, not an internet forum.
The passenger was truly concerned but did not know what to do or who the relevant authorities are and is trying to find out.

If I had to take seriously all the comments.... .
”Captain, there is still ice on the top of your wings”...................