PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots vote to strike
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2019, 07:33
Lufc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I joined BA in the later 90’s I joined Balpa. Over the years I voted on various issues, was on the losing side sometimes but accepted that as democracy at work. In 2016 though Balpa helped BA bring in JSS bidding. A strong statement but I say it because of (off the top of my head) the new bidline was sent to us as an 8 page black and white single font print document while JSS was a 32 page document with colour, different size fonts, diagrams etc; a much more interesting read. Also Balpa produced a JSS promotional video where a Rep stated that “under JSS everyone will get their very own bespoke roster, designed by you for you” Well as a junior captain I could see there was no way I could just design a Hong Kong, weekend off, Cape Town, weekend off etc roster and at a subsequent seminar the same rep admitted that statement was wrong. Anyway as a result of strong selling from Balpa we got JSS and I resigned from Balpa, not because I lost but because I felt the BACC no longer represented its members. (On a side note last year I was full time until October and have since been 75% part time, and yet this year under JSS I have done 25 more days at work than last years bidline year)
So I have been watching this strike from the side lines. Clearly there were a number of colleagues disgruntled with the BACC hence the election results giving them a new leadership.Initially I was impressed by the strong stance and threat of strike and very impressed that they chose to avoid August as Sept was still costly but avoided tv footage of families losing their holidays. I was also equally very impressed at the solidarity shown by those unfortunate enough to be in the firing line when the day came.
We all expected BA to be tough. We expected the staff travel embargo but not how 2 days strike would cost about a weeks wages! And talking to my colleagues since the strike then the general view has been the similar to mine, ie we either capitulate or go nuclear. Clearly 2 days wasn’t going to work. I feel Balpa had BA on the back foot. They didn’t expect the solidarity and couldn’t afford a 2 week strike. Alex Cruz had been put under pressure by Willie Walsh to get a deal done. He couldn’t expect to keep his job if we had embarked on a 2 week or indefinite strike. The ball was very much in Balpa’s court! Most members I think would have been happy with a cast iron guarantee to protect what agreements we still have and a fudging of the profit share or a higher extra pay rise instead of a profit share. There was no desire to go extreme and demand 15% payruse etc etc.
And then Balpa stalled before eventually caving in. I’ve just done SEP and the general feeling amongst the 15 or so colleagues was we’ve been let down by Balpa. Some are voting against the deal but others are battle weary. After initially being impressed by Balpa I’m disappointed with what they’ve achieved and I won’t be rejoining.