PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need some advice.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 16:09
SID PLATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
A sad story.

Idiot instructors who shout at their students are despicable. I once had a poor instructor who shouted at me right in the middle of me flying a go-around, in a twin piston, at night. I immediately shouted back, telling him not to shout at me and that I was cancelling the test and would be changing instructor. Another time, I sat in the back while my colleague on the course did a flight with another instructor who was very rude and shouty. I witnessed yet another instructor telling off a foreign airforce cadet for going into town; “who gave you permission to go into town?”.

YOU, or your family, are paying these instructor’s wages. They are working for you. There is no reason to be rude or shout at a student*. If something is going badly wrong, a calm, authoritative “I have control” from the instructor is all that is required.

If a student is not “getting it”, then the instructor is at fault for either not explaining it properly, or not realising that the student is not ready, or that the student does not have enough skill.

In the OPs case, I think you must ask yourself a difficult question: Do you really want to become a pilot? If not, you must stop now, and stop wasting your family’s money. You will have to explain to them and others why you didn’t become a pilot, but there need be no shame or loss of face. You just need to find a way to reconcile it to yourself and others. At least you have tried hard, but it is not for you.

Good luck.

*Unless they are just about to walk into a turning propellor or something.
It's not all bad for you. You could sue him for offending your sensibilities, and claim for the PTSD inflicted. He might argue though, that you needed persuading not to kill him during your go around.

The flight deck is not the ideal environment to shout at someone, (PACE model anyone ?), however 'despicable' seems a strong adjective.
If it happens again, grow a pair, and if you're sure you're not doing something which could cause an accident, tell him to eff off, and that you'll discuss it and sort it out after landing.