PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compulsory paid marshalling
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 14:10
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North ramp.

A couple of months back they held me at the exit from the runway (echo) the one the airlines exit from for 30 minutes - with me saying give me a parking assignment or get me a special VFR clearance to St Vincent - that confused them.

Point is I got a fellow pilot who said he'd do it and they rejected him as he did not have their special training (!) then in subsequent weeks they said it's only for airlines and handing companies - the ATC people said all this was a directive of the airport operators - they get no say in aviation matters that's the CAA's remit.

The do yet "yet" enforce it on the south ramp.

But an interesting development - yesterday I flew out back to Dominica - went into the handlers where I normally get an ayscuda number - the customs want it - only to be told "we don't give them out any more" (well it cost $30 to 80 to get one) - so off to customs and I say they say they don't give them anymore not sure if to anyone or to me - not a problem they say - so walk back to my plane thinking what will I spend the several thousand dollars this will save me on.

Then no grief from the tower when I leave.

Maybe my "meeting"with ATC - the whole come to the tower thing worked.

Specifically the regulation they quote is actually not for the purpose they purport - it is well over twenty years old and is actually designed to ensure that airplanes end up on the south ramp if over 6000lbs to save 90% on the landing and parking fees - in the past twenty years the way people read the regs has changed to a "these must be to make you do something you don't want to do" reading.

There is no mention of departing marshalling.

I suspect they are merely gathering their forces for a regulation change that will regularize what they have been trying to do over the past few months.

My airplane has been there for over seven years and so maybe I have a prescriptive right anyway.

All good fun - but this whole no ayscuda thing makes me dollars up of the deal and simplifies my departing the airport - so over all a win, well in the short term at least.

Flying in the Caribbean is fun - still getting it big time in Dominica - I fly from Canefield as it is ten minutes from my place - catch is if I want to fly at the weekend I have to pay to staff the airport - a few circuits on a Saturday morning $640 - do enjoy flying out late Friday and back early Monday so only $40