PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Flight To Be Banned.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 12:27
fnqflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile He's right!

Originally Posted by Sunfish
It’s a pity some of you don’t do parody or have any imagination.
I always enjoy your posts Sunfish, and I am but a mere PPL and aircraft owner, but I know the truth when I read it and you are telling it as it really is. No conspiracy theories or tinfoil hats necessary! The scenario you tongue-in-cheek described could well be close to a reality if those in power keep going the way they're heading. The vast majority of the public don't really understand the role of aviation in this country other than to jump on a plane and have the convenience of fast inter-city travel. The real grass roots side of it, the men and women doing the hard yards in the bush and mustering cattle, or the folks flying tourists around Uluru or the Kimberley, or the heroes of the RFDS and other EMS services are generally the ones most people never get to see, unless there's an accident... then the media is all over it like white on rice!

This country is BIG! It screams for aviation! The tyranny of distance really comes alive here because everything is just so far away, unless you are just flying up and down the eastern sea board. The politicians are the puppet masters pulling CASA's strings. Sunfish is absolutely correct that the change has to be made at the highest level; being annoyed with CASA and their processes is a common pastime but it won't change a damned thing.

Personally, I despise politics because I can see through the spin and the false promises and it just never changes. Unfortunately the media has a lot to answer for as well due to sensationalistic reporting of accidents and near misses, all of which contribute to Joe Public having a negative image of aviation. I was attempting to get my neighbours to come up for a private scenic flight with me in my aircraft and the comment I got back was, "Oh no! Those little planes fall out of the sky all the time! We're not going in one of those!" Hmmmm? Wonder where they got that idea from?

Mainstream aviation is secure here (e.g. the major airlines) but GA is dying the death of a thousand cuts and this country needs to stand up for it otherwise we'll blink and it really will be gone unless major reform happens, and happens soon.

Just my 2 cents worth!