PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post-grad moves: would love thoughts!
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 11:58
chrille09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Post-grad moves: would love thoughts!

Hey everyone,

I'm 32 years old and entering an integrated FO program here in Europe in March 2020. If all goes well, I will graduate as 2021 closes. I've spent the past month reading through many forums here, spanning both advice to noobs as well conversations pertaining to those already in the field (familiarize with lingo, why certain career choices are made vs others, etc).

What I would love to gather insight and opinions on would be the following:

1. As a 34 year old FO, I'm curious as to what the differences are between the following career trajectories: a) you build 2-3k hours and look to go long haul anywhere in the world as quickly as possible and b) you hope you land a decent first gig, stay there until you land left seat then build PIC hours before going elsewhere (considering many are looking for under 45 years of age for certain moves).

Maybe there are inherent advantages to going long haul as soon as possible at my age; maybe there aren't. Again, would love to hear thoughts on pros or cons to better understand WHY people choose one leap vs other kinds of build and leaps.

2. It seems no matter which airline I read about on this forum, there's more negatives than positives being expressed. Naturally that goes with the territory on forums because when you're happy/content, you rarely spend time on a forum talking "venting" happiness. With that being said... what are your opinions on the best airlines to fly for in the world at present day? I've read nice things about Delta, Air Canada, Ryanair quite mixed opinions - seems to be great to get in and build hours and more about what you use the opportunity start for.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions! Much appreciated.