PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Flight To Be Banned.
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2019, 23:33
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
YPJT:
I would think it hard to single out aviation at the lower end of the scale without targeting all other forms of motorised recreation for the same reasons.
I”m sure the greens have all internal combustion engines in their sights. However there are less aeroplanes and pilots then there are speedboat owners, trail bike riders and motor racers. Hence my contention that we would be the easiest target, except for perhaps jet skis.

As for those who think I’m being fantastic, let me introduce you to our little friend, the Overton window....

The Overton window is the range of policies politically acceptable to the mainstream population at a given time.[1] It is also known as the window of discourse. The term is named after Joseph P. Overton, who stated that an idea's political viability depends mainly on whether it falls within this range, rather than on politicians' individual preferences.[2]
[3] According to Overton, the window frames the range of policies that a politician can recommend without appearing too extreme to gain or keep public office given the climate of public opinion at that time.

.........Political commentator Joshua Treviņo has postulated that the degrees of acceptance of public ideas are roughly:[7]
  • Unthinkable
  • Radical
  • Acceptable
  • Sensible
  • Popular
  • Policy.
According to Overton, policy starts out with the floating of an “unthinkable” idea that is gradually worked through stages by its supporters to become policy.

Australian examples: gun control, gay marriage, universal superannuation, relaxed liquor licensing laws, divorce, indefinite detention, etc., etc. Climate change emergency will no doubt spawn more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

Last edited by Sunfish; 1st Dec 2019 at 23:45.