PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compulsory paid marshalling
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2019, 12:02
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compulsory paid marshalling

Hello all

I have posted about this before seeking info, to no avail, so thought another go would be worthwhile.

My airplane is based in Barbados, has been since 2012. Currently I am working mainly out of Dominica, but the "base" for insurance remains Barbados and I make the flight a couple of times a month.

Barbados is quite unique in that the regs basically state, under 6,000lbs (so light airplanes) are not subject to fees, landing, parking etc. and by implication amy other imposts.

About three months ago on landing in from Dominica I was told my parking lane and to follow the marshaller's directions. The parking lanes here are 200 - 300m long and can take maybe 5 bizjets nose to tail comfortably - as usual they put my Archer at the front of an empty one, so 60 ft from the end of the long stripe I get beckoned forward and get the X stop. Then told $20 for the marshalling. Asked around and told it is now compulsory, $20 a couple of times a month is not a big problem - but the thin end of a potentially huge wedge.

I then learn that it is not being applied to the south ramp of the airport - I get the reg they are applying, written over twenty years I am told - it refers to "arriving aircraft" and arrangements to move them to the south ramp (small and rammed with airplanes) so that never happens. There is no mention of departing airplanes.

So irritating but not a huge cost yet.

Anyway the next two times I arrive "there are no marshallers available", so thinks I "l will get a pilot friend of mine who aways picks me up at the airport to do it", so next time he lets them know he'll be doing it - "no, no, no says they, you don't have our special marshalling badge", no marshaller available when I land.

So over the past couple of weeks my friend arranges the test (so does have a security pass already), then at the last minute he is told, you can't do the test that is for airlines and handling companies. My airplane is managed by my company, my security pass is issued in the name of my company - difference between me a American Airways is I carry less people.

Now, here's the thing - can anyone advise me of any international airport in the world that has compulsory paid marshalling - there may be some with compulsory handling, what I am interested in is the marshalling and payment?

There wedge I mentioned is a Trinidad and Tobago type situation where the claimed compulsory handling is US$250 (it is not compulsory unless you get tricked into accidentially taking services from them for the onerous task of taking from you and handing your decs to their agent who turns and hands them to the officials.