PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'd love a bit of guidance
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2019, 12:32
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Langeveldt
I have GBP 25K of savings

So I am sat with an expired PPL, and a desire to hit things hard again... Where would you go from here ladies and gentlemen?
There are many ways to skin a cat, but here's my advice:

1 Get an EASA class one medical. This is the most important step - perfectly fit people have gone all the way through their training to find they couldn't get a medical because of something they knew nothing about. Go to the CAA website and book an initial right now. You'll be buzzing once you've got the ball rolling!

2 Get to a school/club and go for a flight. You'll need a valid ICAO PPL to take the ATPL exams, so renew whatever licence you hold, or if it's easier, take an EASA PPL test. I stopped flying for 10 years and it took me 3 flights/3.9 hours to get back up to standard, so that should give you an idea.

3 Once you've got a valid PPL, sign up for ATPL ground school. I went for distance learning because it's cheaper and quicker (you don't have to go at the pace of the slowest person!) There is no need to fly much it at all during this phase (4 months to infinity depending on ability)

4 ATPLs in hand, get a night rating if you need one. If you have 5 hours night you'll be exempt. Then get an IRR and an IR via the CBIR route this can be single engine. No one does a full IR if they know the CBIR exists!

5 Once you have the IR, you will qualify for a reduced 15 hour CPL - again single engine. This is why you should almost always do the IR before the CPL. **You don't need to get a multi engine CPL, only an MEIR**

6 Multi engine time: Assuming you've never flown ME before, you need to do an MEP course of 6 hours. ***You do not need to take the test, just the course***
Now you can do a short 5 hour course to get the MEIR.

7 get an MCC/JOC on a suitable type (737 is a good one)

8 Find a job. Do your homework. Network. Be in the right place at the right time. Get lucky or create your own luck. I'd suggest buying a suitable wheel, tyre, jack and spanner, then follow the chief pilot of your chosen airline until he/she gets a puncture.