PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'd love a bit of guidance
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2019, 10:22
Langeveldt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
I am going to be realistic here, so no offence.

To gain an ATPL(A) licence and an appropriate type rating - the minimum required for an airline to even look at you - will cost you around £120,000 these days, I believe. (And no guarantee of passing all the tests).

Even then, you will have no airline experience, no jet, and no heavy aircraft experience.

I am a very experienced pilot, formerly with two large respected airlines that have both gone into liquidation in the last 2 years. I have 11,700 hours, including the Airbus 320/321 and A330 for 13 years, and 18 years’ overall commercial passenger airline experience. I cannot get a job...........

I would spend your £25k on something like glider flying, I really would.

PS, the Boeing 737 is a flying jeep, i.e., cramped and basic. Don’t discount the Airbus, it is a fantastic product.
I've encountered a lot of optimism recently in the industry but I am sorry despite your experience you are having such a rough time of it.

Definitely not discounting any aircraft (and I think judging by your situation one cannot afford to be picky in the slightest?). I guess one cannot be picky about where you live either.

I've gone in for a couple of cadet programs (as I am getting to the top age bracket) and have failed the onboarding stages. They give you no feedback as to why which is frustrating. Cadet programs also tend to cater, if i am right, for those with no previous flying experience.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope your luck improves.