PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lossiemouth Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2019, 17:44
alwayslookingup

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Shame we don't build our airfields like the Russians, when on leaving East Germany they lifted a lot of the taxiways etc and took them with them.
Could the nuclear sub fleet not move to somewhere like Barrow, after all they are built there. and there is a handy airfield nearby.

As for the oil revenues that our Scottish friends on here keep mentioning, do not forget it is a dwindling asset that is on the decline, once that's gone you may find that difficult to replace that in the countries coffers, there is also the decommissioning costs to think about and I seem to remember that Shetland at the last referendum wished to remain as part of the U.K.? Which would if it came to pass severely reduce the oil fields at Scotland's disposal.

i am all for letting Scotland go its own way if it wants, BUT I doubt it will ever become part of the EU again, Spain is the major blocking point, if they agree to a split and Scotland rejoining, it will bring about futher calls at home on it over Catalan.

The other problem is Sturgeon, she has already said she is not against holding another referendum in a few years if after leaving the people of Scotland decide it's not working and wish to rejoin the Union, no EU will ever want to go through that again, and one hopes the remains of the U.K. Would vote / prevent it happening.

A question that's always puzzled me. There's no doubt the oil and gas is a dwindling asset (though it'll outlive everyone on here right now). As such, if Scotland does not become independent, what provision is the UK government currently making for the loss of it and the decommissioning costs?

"Spain is the major blocking point" - fake news and part of 2014's project fear. It's not an issue. Google it.

As for your last sentence, could you quote a reference please. I have NEVER heard rejoining the UK as an option if we become independent.