PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar EBA 2019
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2019, 05:20
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
Don't think your scaremongering is going to work this time round Lookleft. As it has been pointed out already, its not about teaching JQ a lesson, its about not taking a massive step backwards in pay and conditions once again. Time will tell if PIA will work, it did for Tiger
What scaremongering was I doing whatever the first time round was? Do you mean in the last EBA or the EBA before that or the EBA that was originally negotiated by the JPC before AIPA or AFAP represented JQ pilots? Ask the Tiger pilots who will be affected by the reduction in fleet numbers how their PIA worked for them.

My question to fellow JQ pilots and AFAP members is this. Will these actions genuinely help our barging position or are we simply doing this as a ‘f@ck you’ to the company? I’m worried that emotions are getting in the way of clear thinking and that we are sleepwalking into a conflict that has little chance of a positive outcome.
Unfortunately once the drums start beating then emotion is all that drives it. The year of the fall of the Berlin Wall is testament to that.

It’d be the first ever PIA conducted by the JQ pilot group. I think everyone is well and truly wide awake.
You are assuming that the ballot will be successful. Its not the first time PIA has been initiated but an agreement was struck before the process was completed. This is the fundamental flaw with the threat of PIA this time around. There is no agreement! The other flaw is that there is no coordinated approach with the other union. For the many posters who are not JQ pilots and roll out the well worn cliches of "stay strong and united" then understand that the AFAP PIA is more about the politics of dominance over AIPA as it is trying to get a negotiated outcome.

You are facing an arrogant employer who thinks it is acceptable for a select few to steal hundreds of millions of dollars from the coffers whilst standing on the necks of the operational employees.Judging by the sentiment being shown across all operational groups I think everyone has had enough.
I don't disagree with that but the airlines are no different to most other large corporations that thrive on exploiting the low wage environment that currently exists and has been pointed out by the Reserve Bank as being a drag on the economy. Everyone has had enough but the current industrial system has been developed to keep it that way. Whats the alternative? How radical do you want to get? The choice is to operate within the current framework which is what the AFAP are offering but don't expect any different outcome. If it makes people feel better and allow them to state " We showed them" then fine but lets be realistic and keep emotion out of it. Or go the HK students approach, but I doubt whether any pilot will be interested in going down that path. Your political freedom is not under threat, you are not facing deportation if you don't toe the party line and you can still quite easily put food on the table and keep a roof over your head. The main sentiment for PIA seems to be that its unfair that the CEO gets all that money and we don't.

Whats the alternative? Get an agreement that both unions put to their membership, vote on that, if not happy then as a unified pilot group go to the PIA process. Once that is completed (if it gets that far) vote on any revised agreement. If that is successful then everyone can take time out from all the angst for another 3 years.If the revised agreement gets voted down I suppose you try again with PIA but in my experience I have never seen it go to that stage as usually EBA fatigue sets in and people just want it finalized. Game,Set and Match corporate Australia.