PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mallard Down in Perth
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2019, 02:42
Sandy Reith

Received 77 Likes on 36 Posts
Reply to Egipps. The excessive fear factor, hallmark of General Aviation in Australia

Originally Posted by Egipps
Pretty sure the slideshow showed lots of accidents, not just that one. I was at the presentation by Mr Carmody and Mr Hood at Avalon that year. I requested, and received, a copy of it to play to our local club.
As my father said “everything in moderation” and this simple idea should be followed in regard to inducing fear of flight by an excessive and unhealthy visualisation of accidents and the CASA policy of the slightest infringement of their thousands of ‘rules’ as being criminal offences.

In my 50 plus years in General Aviation as CFI and CP and as aircraft and airport owner operator it has become so obvious that the extraordinary emphasis on the nebulous concept of safety as being some sort of holy grail in itself has, at least in part, displaced the healthy enjoyment of flying and the satisfaction of honing one’s flying skills.
I’ve seen time and again the poor results in GA flying from this wrong psychological environment where the fear factor dominates and reserves of adrenaline have been lost before the flight. This then results in a tired and narrow mental focus to the numerous dynamic factors that might be in play, with inherent dangers, that then might overwhelm an overly stressed pilot.
In addition, the enormous additional expenses mandated by CASA onto a struggling GA industry, beset with the outcome of our poor dollar value, has meant that fewer hours flown by individuals means they are less current and less likely to maintain a good level of basic flying skills.
The whole regulatory and public administration of aviation in Australia is a huge disaster, we’ve lost hundreds of flying schools, and has cost thousands of jobs. This National scandal is driving our airlines to recruit pilots and engineers from overseas. Ring write contact your local MP and State Senators for change because the experimental governance of aviation (31 years) by an independent Commonwealth corporate body is an abject failure.