PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Army
Thread: European Army
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2019, 07:08
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by t43562
History is that the entities we can manage get bigger so there probably will be a grouping of states and it's just a matter of whether it's created by war or by agreement - makes me think eventually we have to learn to do it peacefully as we have learned not to keep our latrines near our wells.
I think that we have hogged enough of the limelight here, don't you? We are clearly not going to agree. My preference is for countries, with their own histories, cultures, and languages, to seek common security in treaty arrangements like NATO. Yours is for super states where those countries join together in federations and unions.

My feeling is that such unions create tensions between other such blocks which the looser arrangements of treaties tend to avoid. History can provide examples of both arrangements leading to war rather than peace. I would only say that the threats to blocks come from both within and without. Look at Hong Kong, Catalonia, Scotland, and Wales! We might try to resolve such tensions democratically, but the other ways are shown on our TV screens nightly. You pays your money and you makes your choice...