PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying School Owner makes AFR rich list
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2019, 12:07
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Soar's current/former students: Can anyone shed light into Soar's surprisingly high Google review ratings? I mean, going by what I read here, I would have expected anywhere between 1 and 2 stars but going through a few that gave 5 stars has me wondering who these people really are. Instructors themselves keeping busy on IMC days? Some reviews really depict a grim picture consistent with your stories above. I'm sorry, this one is too good not to share with you all:

Here's one from "a week ago" (highlighting mine):
I chose Soar Aviation in 2017 to begin my aviation journey, something i wanted to do all my life but never had the opportunity to do so. Today, less than 2 years later, i am a Commercial Pilot. I hold a Multi Engine Class Rating (gifted as a scholarship by Soar) and also obtained my Flight Instructor Rating. I am also now about to start teaching as a Flight Instructor at Soar Aviation. I am greatful to the wonderful staff, professionalism of all the Flight Instructors and Soar Aviation team who have all me to progress in 24 months from zero to a career in Aviation. The aircraft are mostly brand new, well maintained, and if you study hard and apply yourself, the Soar syllabus is designed to catapult you to amazing opportunities in a very short period when compared to other flight schools. Thankyou to the team at Soar Aviation for a wonderful gift, a dream career in Aviation.
... seriously!?

And here's one by someone who's been brainwashed:

I have completed my Navigations endorsement and soon to commence my CPL in their full time class. I have to say all the hiccups that I have ever had is at Boxhill but never had an issue with flying so far. It’s such a shame that we have to travel to Boxhill for theory when soar has theory classes space at their office. I am not sure why they don’t do theory here there are occasional cancellations due to wx or unscheduled maintenance but I am a realist that this is aviation and if I couldn’t understand weather or aircraft being machines so they sometimes break then I would have chosen another career. The biggest challenge in this course is RPL section and if you have regular flights and don’t take big breaks then you should comfortably achieve solo within 20 hours Their facility is probably the best around in Melbourne as I originally started flying at bacchus marsh. Never had a major issue but clearly if I do have in the future then I will edit this review

After looking around for a flying school for some time. I kept coming back to soar aviation to do my cpl as they offer part time study options and flying when I can (weekends) as I work full time. I am a current student so I thought I would do a quick review. From the moment I walked in the front door I have felt welcomed from staff and students. The instructors are fantastic and really want to help you along your journey to becoming a commercial pilot. The instructors are there to help you progress and they can and will not pass you if YOU are not up to standard. It's not kindergarten they are training us to become commercial pilots! They will do anything they can to help you! Yes you have the odd day you can't fly due to weather but honestly you don't really want to be up in the air when conditions are not favourable as you won't learn anything! The aircraft are modern, well maintained and they have plenty of them.

Originally Posted by Squawk7700
I know I’m not the smartest guy on the ramp, but what am I missing here?
Amending rather than cancelling SARTIME 50 miles out is probably what you'd expect a school to teach, methinks. I also think that the kid just showed very publicly that he had no understanding at all of what SARTIME is for, again not particularly commending for a school sending someone on a solo nav.

Last edited by Okihara; 13th Nov 2019 at 12:23.