PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying School Owner makes AFR rich list
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2019, 01:10
Clare Prop

Received 244 Likes on 113 Posts
Lowballer, that's terrible, I want to apologise on behalf of the flying training industry for what you have been through. Not all flying schools are like this. There were just a select few who saw the VET loans as a way of scamming the taxpayer. For 80 grand you should have 200 hours and a CPL without ever having gone near an RA Aus aeroplane.

There is no such thing as cheap flying.

Many predicted that the government dishing out loans like this would result in this sort of thing, but of course the people running them are good at lobbying for more and more. You and the taxpayer are the ones being scammed, the only difference with this one is that instead of suddenly closing the doors and the money vanishing to who knows where as so many others have, this guy is actually flaunting it, rubbing noses in it on the Young Rich List. Pride comes before a fall and if you get a refund he can't now say he doesn't have the money and just lock the door and disappear like so many others have.

I wish you all the best of luck. Robyn Ironside at The Australian is taking interest in this, so suggest you keep in touch with her. Most of us would be very glad to see these scams stopped as so many potentially great pilots' careers are ruined before they have even begun and it gives the industry a bad name.

As for the perfection thing, I recently renewed my Examiner Rating and we discussed this, there is no such thing a the perfect flight test. What matters are whether errors are safety or non safety critical and if/how the student recognises, prioritises and fixes them.

I remember when I came here from the other side of the world I already had a few hundred hours and had been instructing for some time. When I went to do my conversions I went to a certain school. They told me I had to repeat 3 hour navs because I had used ICAO radio procedures and readbacks instead of the abbreiviated versions Australia used at the time. Luckily I was experienced enough to know they were scamming me and also experienced enough to know that those unfortunate instructors really didn't know any different. They had been scammed too.

Good luck. Keep your powder dry.