PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia recruitment
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2019, 22:58
Dawn Patrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjvmw
I cringe every time this gets brought up.

What do you think about the rest of the population are doing when they go to university? They don't study for free. They BUY a qualification. And guess what, when they graduate, in order to stay competitive and get further in their career, they go back and spend a hell of a lot more then $6000 on ANOTHER qualification.

I really don't understand everyone's issue with this. It's the same in every industry, yet we are the only ones who seem to complain about it.
I see a few differences.

Firstly, in the past it was not a requirement. It seems to be fairly recently strapped on. I don’t have a MCC , but my understanding, which could be wrong, is that it’s fairly easy to achieve during type rating.

Also, as far as other professions go. Not a single one of my doctor/lawyer/engineer/teacher/ATC friends have moved to the more remote parts of Australia to be paid less than 50k. Or have spent over 70k upfront (as many don’t use the fee help). Or have work conditions even remotely close to entry GA. In fact they are usually paid significantly more than their city counterparts and receive an array of government subsidies. I only use this as an example as the ones coughing up the 6k+ are usually the people out remote , and it is a very very larger percentage of their annual income.

Lastly, any that go back for further qualifications, which isn’t that many, are usually paid by the uni, or are under scholarship, or by their employer (PhD / masters/ more specific training, workshops etc). The ones that pay up are usually doing further education in another field , not improving their currently achieved skills set.

Those are extra points of complaint that I see anyway, and they certainly aren’t hard and fast rules. However, the nature of the game is to tick the required boxes, so be it. It just seems extra boxes frequently appear!