PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying School Owner makes AFR rich list
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2019, 21:57
TXU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too got sucked in.

What swayed me in the first place was the part time ‘organized and structured ‘ nature of the course, as it turned out it was anything but structure and organized. I knew full well that post any initial course I was going to be up for many thousands of dollars to even get a look in. So self funding the entire CPL and working full time wasn’t an option for me, mainly due to other life commitments .... pesky things like a family and house etc!

I’m not blaming anyone other than my self for the predicament I’m now in as many of the red flags which many people have called out for shonky training were very evident, very early on. I chose to continue mainly because I was actually progressing at the required pace ... until it came time for my PPL flight test which despite passing everything mysteriously took over 3 months to organize, by which time the CPL cluster date had passed and I was really stuck! Despite paying for the theory component, it was so poorly organized, with instructors who verbally said they didn’t want to be there, who had clearly done zero preparation on the material they were supposed to ‘teach’ that I self studied (and passed) all 7 exams.

There were many good instructors, Some of which have gone onto much bigger and shinier aircraft – deservedly so. There were also many very poor instructors . Most are probably good pilots who are blindly following orders in part because they were probably desperate for a foot in the door. I’ve witnessed instructors blatantly display incredibly poor professionalism, Some of which is downright dangerous.

There is absolutely zero organization, contradicting information on everything imaginable (simple things like a particular way to perform a certain procedure) to what the syllabus actually requires (changed several times in my time) A severe lack of professionalism and care for student development from many instructors. I’ve heard from several different previous employees that it was encouraged to drag students training and progress out – this is the result! Insane number of instructor turnover (from 0 hours to the end I had in excess of 25 different instructors. There is absolutely zero accountability for the instructors and level of training they are providing.

To the handful of good instructors who maintained their own standards in very difficult and trying conditions, usually for a short time ... I take my hat off to you and wish you every success!

To the many clearly unhappy, unmotivated instructors who are churning through the hours with zero care for your output, whilst waiting for the next best thing... you are as much to blame for Soars current predicament as the management. Perhaps the fact that you are still waiting on that next big thing your own doing. A student failing and the pass rates say as much about the instructors signing students off as it does about the organization it self.

For what it’s worth it’s been a massive set back! But my aviation adventure is far from over and I will not let this organization crush my dreams!

It's been a massive learning experience!

Onwards and upwards!