PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentinian pilot reunited with his UH-1 Huey
Old 11th Nov 2019, 11:48
arty cars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As part of the story and the one who took the machine from Stanley sports field and for whom it was a major part of my life for 8 years I can fill in and correct some inaccuracies contained in number of responses with a high degree of certainty. AE 413 never went anywhere as a museum exhibit during my involvement although it very nearly went for scrap after the bridge/blade accident.

It was collected by the RN from Felixstowe and taken by truck to Finningley for the 1982 BoB Static Display. It was whilst being moved from Finningley to Abingdon for the latter's BoB display that the front blade tie came free allowing the blade to rise and strike a road bridge over the A1 near Alconbury. This damage wrote off the forward main rotor blade, rotor head, mast, engine, Main Rotor Gearbox, engine to gearbox drive shaft, front tail rotor drive shaft, the windscreens and nose structure, the main fuselage structure under the MRG and the undercarriage. Apart from that it did not look in too bad a condition. The story of how all these components were repaired or replaced is a book in itself !

Initially it was allocated to AAC Middle Wallop REME for battlefield repair practice but after a discussion with the allocations committee it was allocated to me at RAF Odiham. By this stage it had already been stripped to identify what would need repair and this would have made a move extremely difficult. Engineers from Bristows suggested the repairs at normal commercial rates would cost in the order of £3.5million. However, after managing to get spares donated over the next 3.5 years and the work of some very dedicated RAF engineers working entirely voluntarily in their spare time the aircraft was ready to fly again at a cash expense of some £8k. At this stage the RAF Benevolent Fund became involved and were registered as owners by the MoD. Thus UK registration could take place. My initial suggestions were rejected but the letter of refusal had a reference that began G-HUEY/.... And so that became the UK registration.

Over the next 5 display seasons some 400 flying hours were amassed and around 350 appearances were made. At shows, damaged and failed components were offered for sale as well as the opportunity to have one's picture taken in the pilots' seat. These generated about £10k of income each season. At the end of the 1st season, the partaking in the Living Daylights meant that the accounts showed a small positive balance. For the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons Superkings sponsored the operation and during this period the machine was painted in 'its Jacob's coat of many colours' to celebrate the colours of Search and Rescue machines from around the world. For the 1st 4 seasons and during the rebuild Bristows provided the Technical Support and for the 5th season this was provided by Alan Mann Helicopters. The repaint was carried out by Marshall's of Cambridge. The support for day today items by personal serving at RAF Odiham was crucial to the continued operation was much appreciated.

The 5th season was entirely self supporting and at the end of it the RAFBF, having been mistakenly told it was worth £millions, decided to sell it to raise funds for BoB Appeal that year. It sold for less than £200,000 but nevertheless this meant that the project raise around £250,000 for the RAFBF over the 5 years.

Its story for the succeeding 32 years needs to be told by others. But I find it amazing that this machine which had such an uncertain future in 1982, was rebuilt under such difficult conditions, may well be the only machine from the Falklands conflict that is still airworthy - notwithstanding that Chinook BN and some Gazelles are still flying with their respective Services. The Harriers, Vulcans, Sea Kings, Wessex, Scouts are all now out of service. Some Argentinian aircraft 'escaped' back home at the end of the conflict so they may also need to be considered.