PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz
Old 10th Nov 2019, 22:33
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the US, pilots have the greatest adjusted gender pay gap of all professions, according to a Glassdoor report, with a 27% gap in base pay.
THis quote demonstrates that absolute dishonesty of the "gender gap" statistics. The vast majority of US pilots are employed by Part 121 airlines, and virtually every one of those airlines has a rigid, longevity based pay scale. Furthermore, a significant portion of the minority of working US pilots *not* employed at airlines are employed at large "fractional ownership management", or 91(k) operators, which also have large pilot groups, and a rigid pay structure based on longevity. For all these pilots there is *NO* gender gap in pay. None. Zip Nada. For those relatively few pilots not on such a pay scale, are there companies whose pay policies are not gender blind? Perhaps there are some few. But, the number of pilots who are not paid according to a longevity based pay scale is far too small to create and industry-wide "gender wage gap" of 27 per cent. It's simply numerically impossible for the pay of that few pilots to to skew the statistics of the entire industry, most of which has no "gender pay gap". So the difference is not a "gender gap" as in sense the oft repeated claim women are paid less then men for the same job. I don't know what causes it, but I do know for a fact that is is not because the industry, generally, has pay scales where women's are paid less than their male peers. I would speculate that if you looked at the seniority lists at most airlines the women tend to have less seniority (and longevity ) so tend to be a) on lower steps of their respective pay scales than the average male pilot, and b) tend to have a larger proportion of FO's to Captains than do men, again because of the lower average years of employment. My own employer would be a prime example. Fairly small pilot group, but have a greater proportion of women pilots than the proportion of US ATP holders who are women. But, they are all relatively low on the seniority list, and are all FO's. Lest any one try to jump to conclusions, there are no captains junior to any of the women FO's, and one of them was previously employed by the company and was a captain. She decided to seek employment elsewhere and left the company, and recently decided to come back after about 8-10 years of working elsewhere. Of course, seniority being what it is, she started out as a junior FO when she got rehired. And I can guarantee you that the base pay of every single female pilot at my company is *identical*, right to the penny, as each of her classmates with the same Date of Hire. But, I suspect that if the Gender Pay Gap enthusiasts were to analyze my company's pay, they would find a large "Gender Pay Gap", despite there being exactly none. Just for fun I ran the numbers on this for my company. If you have the pay scale and the seniority list, you know what everyone's base pay is. The professional Gender Pay Gap baiters would claim that my company has a 38 percent "gender pay gap" in for pilots, or that woman pilots at my company " get paid 62 cents for every dollar that the men get paid." This despite the fact there is not a fraction of a penny of difference in how men and women pilots are paid.

Last edited by A Squared; 10th Nov 2019 at 23:07.