PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)
Old 10th Nov 2019, 17:01
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sycamore
Gordy, been watching the tankers out of Redding,Red bluff,and further South...Well organised.....looked at OZ,but could only find a Conair RJ,,unless they don`t use tanker,spotter c/signs....
Keep up the good work.....are you in a UH-1..?
Red Bluff is not a tanker base, but they do fly over it. The Norcal ones are Redding, Chico and McClellan for the large tankers. The S-2's can go almost anywhere they can get topped off. They use all sorts from the 747, DC-10's ConAirs, P3's, I think the Neptunes are all done now, RJ 85's, C-130's, MD-87's and BAE 146's, and then of course all the Air Tractors. I might have missed some.

They use King Air's as lead planes and Cal Fire uses Bronco's--callsign "Air Attack". We use Astar's, 407's, L4's and even Jet Rangers as Helco--callsign "Helco".

Astar's, 407's, L4's and even Jet Rangers acan be used on exclusive use contracts doing initial attack, but slowly being taken over by 205's.

I have a fleet of Bell 212, 205, UH-1H, 2 X 407's, 4 X L4's, one Astar, one Jet Ranger. I fly all but the 212 and 205. I prefer doing Helco these days.

Day one on Camp Fire in Pradise: