PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz
Old 10th Nov 2019, 14:19
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprite

Classic cognitive dissonance...”ignore logic! Delete the heresy!”

“While fringe members were more inclined to recognize that they had made fools of themselves and to "put it down to experience," committed members were more likely to re-interpret the evidence to show that they were right all along (the earth was not destroyed because of the faithfulness of the cult members).”

Hello Sprite,

I see you have challenged my suggestion that one particular poster be removed from the thread. I suggested they be removed because they were not on topic, argumentative, rude, distracting, and contributing nothing of interest to the discussion of female pilots in Qantas (the topic). If anyone would like to further discuss how various roles of housework have evolved in marriages over the generations I am happy to open a thread on Yahoo, and provide a link.

But for you to throw this at me: Classic cognitive dissonance...”ignore logic! Delete the heresy!”

... I have to admit to being a little offended. I do not think I am guilty of cognitive dissonance.

I have made a couple of posts on this thread that I really worked hard on, because I wanted to try to respectably portray my balance of thoughts on the suggested increase of female pilots in a long-haul airline with the realities of what I have experienced in over three decades of actually working for this airline (despite some dragging this thread into the gutter).

I have children, and I would fully support my daughter pursuing a similar career if it was in her nature, but I sure as damn would make sure that she fully understood the potential realities of what might entail if it was to become a 40-year career for her. And I’m not referring to the racist sexist homophobic misogynist arrogant beer-swilling point-scoring adulterous bullies who made my life difficult when I joined, I’m actually just talking about the job and what it entails - by then she might even get to fly with nice people.

Your PPrune name rang a bell for me for some reason and then I recalled that you made a post some time ago on another thread that I really liked, so I searched for it. Here it is:

Ironically in order to encourage more women pilots it could be that some of the things quoted earlier as potential reasons that women won't fly might be changed if there were more female pilots, leading to a more family oriented, well balanced career for everybody.
Why did I like that post so much?

Maybe because it opened the possibility that many of the things that I dislike about being an airline pilot, which I and many of my colleagues have being trying to address over so many decades, may actually finally be addressed if we get a few more females in the room!

Sure, even with females in the room, we aren’t going to be able to close the airline on weekends and school holidays, much as I would like to.

But maybe the females will be able to gain some traction that the males have been trying for years for. Maybe, just maybe, the female pilots will be able to somehow help us make this a more family-friendly occupation.

My earlier posts on this forum have suggested that this occupation is not particularly female-friendly... Can you fix it?

I also observed that female pilots have been historically disinclined to be active industrially. So maybe you could but you won’t.

Fred.

Last edited by Derfred; 10th Nov 2019 at 14:43.