PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz
Old 8th Nov 2019, 16:32
Orange future

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
“So if you want to be a mother be a responsible mother and look after the child the way nature intended.”

I am really unclear as to why we are even discussing the whole childbirth issue here (despite the fact that it was central to Ansett’s argument when trying to prevent women from flying).

My wife was a professional her entire life and raised 2 kids. Of the 40 years spent working she was off work for childbirth and breast feeding for probably less than a year in total.

“good for you if you want to be a professional pilot but then you earn it on merit, no quotas”

Which is precisely what is happening. There are NO quotas and have never been quotas to favor women in Qantas or any airline in Australia, which is why females still only occupy about 5% of the cockpit seats available.

The only quota system I am aware of was the one that ensured only men could fly airliners, a system that makes a complete mockery of the “best person for the job” argument so commonly regurgitated on this thread.

“I am very grateful that I live in a country where we are so heavily influenced by our predominantly Christian history and our hard won democratic freedoms”

You are aware that Australia graduated its first female fighter pilots in the military only 12 months ago and only as a result of a condemning report by the Human Rights Commission?

There have been females flying fighters in other countries including several muslim countries for over 80 years.

Australia has been beaten by Pakistan, India, China, Turkey just to name a few. America and the UK are an entire generation ahead of Australia.