PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz
Old 7th Nov 2019, 05:13
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
In a 30 year aviation career I've not yet felt the inclination while flying with one of the girls (including very recent recruits) to grab the fork off the crew meal tray and stab myself in the eyeball just to end the misery of having to listen to them ramble on about politics, how great they are at flying, how much more of an expert they are than people who actually have accredited expertise on a given topic, or how many of the opposite sex they've slept with recently. Regrettably when flying with male colleagues, my eyeballs are often at risk. And that's all aside from the fact that I've seen no quantifiable difference in flying standards - after all, they do ultimately pass the same course, irrespective of how they ended up with a position on it.
Couldn't have put it better. I have been instructed by female pilots, I have instructed female pilots, I have flown with female captains, I have flown with female F/O's. No difference at all in how the job is done but a very big difference in the level of conversation and the topics covered!

If the airlines want to attract more females into piloting jobs then make it more family friendly and we can all benefit.