PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Non-Traditional' Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 18:22
KBW10101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a flying badge

Originally Posted by Chugalug2
Nutty, I think we've been round this buoy already. There are many personnel who are temporarily attached to a crew for various reasons, ground engineers as you mention, PJIs for paradrops, Air Despatchers for supply drops, etc. They all have one thing in common, they are not part of a regular crew, ie they are not aircrew (though some we learn are honorary).

Cabin Crew are clearly Aircrew and yet not awarded a Brevet. That is an anomaly that needs resolving. As to their rank, that is a matter for the RAF. Anticipating a Catch-22 response that they can only be aircrew if they are Sgts, then my response is to then make them Sgts. If it is not necessary then let them retain their present ranks, acting or substantive. Either way they are RAF Aircrew and should thus wear an RAF Aircrew Brevet.

Finally Nutty, if it is of any comfort to you I overheard a civvie member of cabin crew giving orders to a ground engineer, simply because he was in overalls and his hands were dirty. Like you, I corrected her misunderstanding...

AL1. Please amend the word "Brevet" above to read "Badge" in all cases. I thank you.

If you’re handing out flying badges to cabin crew retrospectively, without an appropriate aircrew course or even selection and promoting them all to Sgt, does that mean you’ll award GE’s flying badge too? - as they operate in an airborne role and already qualify for RRP ( FC).

They’ll of course then qualify for RRP (Fly) not RRP (FC) - quite a bit of staff work there involved; good luck.

So whilst the MAA acknowledges their aircrew role, how do you propose the instant elevation in rank to sgt tor all cabin crew and the uplift in RRP be laid for? Who would you choose to lose out in order to pay for this endeavour?

It’s a fantastic idea you’ve put forward and defended for every post, but the costs involved I feel you’re side- stepping but it merits equal vigour from your end if you feel so strongly about it.

who would you ‘select’ to take an RRP cut or pay cut to afford to pay for the uplift in wages on rank and uplift of RRP ( fly)? Or do you believe they shouldn’t be paid as aircrew, once elevated to flying badge aircrew status.

Just a question, as I’m sure you’ve thought of the answer